How To Prove Fault After An Accident

There are many car accident scenarios in which it seems clear that one driver was at fault. T-bone accidents, rear-end accidents and lane changing accidents often seem fairly straightforward. To be successful in pursuing a personal injury claim, however, you must be able to prove that the other driver was at fault.

There are a few different ways to do this. At D'Amico Law Offices, L.L.C., in Pittsburgh, our experienced lawyers can walk you through which may be possible in your specific case.

Preponderance Of Evidence

Many people in Pennsylvania are aware of the phrase "beyond a reasonable doubt." In criminal cases, you must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that a crime occurred in order to obtain a conviction.

In civil cases — like car accident claims — the burden of proof is lighter and known as preponderance of evidence. In order to be successful, you must show that it is more likely than not that the other driver was at fault.

Police Reports

If police reported to the scene of the accident, there is likely a report. If the report supports our argument that the other driver was at fault in your crash, we can use it to support your case.


In some accident situations, one driver is issued a citation for failing to follow traffic laws. If the driver who hit you was cited for running a red light, failing to signal or committing another infraction, it can help bolster your case.

Witness Testimony

Witness testimony can be useful in car accident claims. If bystanders saw the accident happen, and their statements are reliable, it may help support your case.

Our attorneys know where to look for possible witnesses and how to tell whether their testimony may be considered reliable enough to be used in your claim.

Learn More About Proving Fault In A Free Consultation

In a free consultation, we will listen to your story and explain what options might be available to you. To schedule a time to meet with one of our lawyers, please send us an email or call us at 412-906-8180 or 866-546-4956.